Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 06 Mar 2019
Position Title : Public Information Officer
Duty Station : Accra, Ghana
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 06 March 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Eswatini, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016). In addition, over 70% of the migrants interviewed by IOM on their arrival in Italy report that they were victims of trafficking or other exploitative practices during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean. Further, over 25% of the Ivorian migrants returning from Libya are women with specific protection needs.
To meet these challenges, the European Union (EU) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) have developed the Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (hereinafter “Joint Initiative”). One of the actions of the “Joint Initiative” is implemented in Ghana and foresees different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants as well as victims of trafficking, capacity building for the authorities, support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows. The Initiative aims to strengthen the technical and material capacities of authorities and organizations involved in these areas so that they can ultimately take over the policies and programmes related to the protection and reintegration of migrants developed and/or strengthened in Ghana, with a view to improving the governance of migration in the region.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and in close coordination with the Project Manager for Returns, Protection and Direct Assistance to Vulnerable Migrants Unit, the successful candidate will be responsible for the implementation of public information (PI) strategies to promote IOM Ghana and its activities and awareness raising efforts, particularly for returns and reintegration projects including the EU-IOM Joint Initiative on Migrant Protection and Reintegration, Global Assistance to Irregular Migrants and the Assistance to Ghanaian Returnees and Potential Migrants projects.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Journalism, Media Communications, Public Relations, International
Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant
professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in Public Information and media and communications;
• Demonstrated high competency as a writer and editor in English;
• Familiarity with graphic design, web, social media, and video production;
• Experience in capacity building of staff and external counterparts;
• Exposure to IOM’s institutional settings or other international non-profit organizations;
• Previous work with the European Union an asset;
• Demonstrated experience with photography, Adobe creative suite, and Final Cut Pro an asset.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.p
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 06 March 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 21.02.2019 to 06.03.2019
Requisition: VN 2019/51 (P) – Public Information Officer (P2) – Accra, Ghana (55844618) Released
Posting: Posting NC55844619 (55844619) Released