Organization: MDF Training & Consultancy
Closing date: 23 Jun 2018
MDF West Africa is Looking for a Monitoring and Evaluation Expert
MDF West Africa Limited (MDF WA) is the regional training & consultancy provider of MDF Training & Consultancy (www.mdf.nl/Ghana) covering the West African Market.
MDF WA works to strengthen the management capacities of people, networks and organisations. We enable professionals, organisations, partnerships & networks to achieve sustainable results and results that matter; for a better world. We do this because we are convinced that people who continue to develop themselves are best equipped to make a sustainable difference towards more equitable societies and the creation of social impact.
MDF’s core competencies are:
- Training and Consultancy – i.e. open entry or tailor-made training and advise trajectories for individuals, networks and organisations;
- *Monitoring and Evaluation– i.e. results-based baseline, mid-term or final evaluations and development of tailored monitoring plans and tools for projects and programmes;*
- Project and Programme implementation – i.e. implementation support for partners and the development of our own business ideas.
MDF established its regional office for the West African Region in Accra in 2009.
MDF West Africa is looking for experienced Monitoring and Evaluation experts to acquire, execute and/or lead monitoring and evaluation assignments in mixed specialty teams (e.g. WASH, Education, Agriculture, Entrepreneurship, humanitarian aid). MDF’s monitoring and evaluations assignments cut across different sectors and therefore brings together different resources and knowledge from different fields and disciplines; a broad range of thematic expertise is thus required to acquire and executes these projects.
Within this role you will have the opportunity to work with a variety of clients and travel in the region thereby being part of a team. You will be part of the international MDF network and therefore work with and learn from colleagues from Africa, Europe, and Asia.
MDF WA has a team of around 20 staff members, of whom 4 staff members are dedicated to the internal Monitoring and Evaluation team. You will join this team to initiate, collaborate and share learning with the others.
Main Task and Responsibilities
Acquisition of work
- Support identification, follow-up and responses to training & consultancy opportunities with clients in the West African region.
- Analyse and understand clients request for service via an existing terms of reference/request for proposal and/or direct contact via phone, intake meetings (visits) and or email.
- Support and steer the proposal writing process together with the project team.
- Come-up with strategies and write how you would approach the assignment i.e. methodological approach, methods used, workplan, budget, team composition etc.
- Acquire assignments for MDF-WA within the MDF network.
- Represent MDF during functions and participate in formal and informal gatherings in order to build a network of clients and partners.
Execution of work
- Execute consultancies assignments in area of planning, monitoring and evaluation.
- Make the lead and steer a team of 2 to 5 colleagues/partners during execution of assignments
- Maintain client contact during execution and contracting of assignments i.e. process management. Be the focal person for the client.
- Lead the report writing process and assure report quality.
- Maintain client and partner relationships.
- Management expertise within projects, programmes, teams or organisations i.e. steering people, client management, financial management, knowledge management.
- Serve as team leader for multi-country programme external evaluation assignments applying quantitative and qualitative methodologies such as outcome mapping, outcome harvesting, contribution analysis, and quasi experimental studies applying sampling techniques and using among others difference-in-difference methods.
- Expertise in assisting organisations or programmes in the design and management of monitoring and evaluation strategies, frameworks and plans incl. the development of data collection, analysis, and reporting tools and templates.
- Strong expertise with on-line data collection and analysis using mobile phone technology such as Kobo Collect, Akvo FLOW, Ona and/or others.
- Strong data collection and processing skills i.e. data gathering via interviews, focus-group discussions, check-lists and analysing situations, documents, data sheets.
- Strong quantitative data analysis skills via Excel, SPSS, Nvivo, MaxQData and other data analysis software.
- Strong writing skills of proposals and reports i.e. clear, to-the-point, high analytical level, in-depth, proper English (or French), in time, understanding client needs.
- Previous consultancy and advisory expertise, individually or as part of an organization/firm.
- Strong participatory facilitation and presentation skills/expertise. Comfortable to stand in front of and guide a group (4-25 people) with international character.
- maintaining client relationships and networking.
- Service- and client oriented.
- Pro-active/take initiative, business driven, professional attitude
- Team player, flexible, goes the extra mile, not a 9 to 5 mentality.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) on regional and international level via e-mail, phone and face-to-face i.e. respectful, business oriented, broad vocabulary, understanding culture and customs.
- Work independently, be and take responsibility to the team and clients, practical approach.
- Can deal with productivity and turnover targets.
- International and ECOWAS working expertise.
- Capable to handle administrative, modern communication and knowledge management technologies – Microsoft Word and Excel, Email Management System, Adobe, PiktoChart, Skype, LinkedIn, online data collection tools and more.
- Fluent in English on an international standard.
- French language is an advantage but not compulsory.
- Interested to learn and improve.
- Interest in management for development.
- 10 -15 years of working experience in an international context. Of which minimum 5 years as lead evaluator/consultant
- Background in service oriented positions i.e. business, advisory, international programme management.
- Regional (ECOWAS) and international working experience.
- Education level Master degree or equivalent in (international) business management, social studies, international development and or relations, international trade etc
- Ability to speak and write English on a professional level. French is an asset
MDF’s work cuts across different sectors and brings together knowledge from different fields and disciplines. Please indicate your fields of expertise and focus sectors clearly in your application.
How to apply:
The position will be full-time (40 hour work week). You can submit your application to email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject Application Monitoring and Evaluation Expert before the 24th of June (11:59 PM GMT). Applications that are not in before this time will be rejected. Your application needs to include the following:
- A cover letter (2-page maximum), outlining your interest in, and qualifications for the position;
- Your CV (including two professional references);
- A sample or description of relevant work;
An assessment and reference check will be part of the application procedure. There are no relocation funds available. ECOWAS nationals are encouraged to apply.
ONLY CANDIDATES WHO MEET THE REQUIREMENTS WILL BE CONTACTED. IF YOU DON’T HEAR FROM US BY JULY 8TH, YOU CAN CONSIDER YOUR APPLICATION UNSUCCESSFUL.