Organization: African Institute for Mathematical Sciences
Closing date: 09 Feb 2018
We’re transforming Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries!
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS, www.nexteinstein.org) is a pan-African network of centres of excellence for postgraduate training, research and outreach in the mathematical sciences. Its mission is to enable Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency. The first AIMS centre opened in Cape Town, South Africa in 2003; since 2011, AIMS has opened additional centres in Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, Tanzania and Rwanda. The goal of the AIMS Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS-NEI) is to build a pan-African network of 15 centres of excellence across the continent by 2023.
Each AIMS centre provides an intensive and broad education to over 50 African students each year and prepares them for leadership careers in academia, government and industry. The AIMS educational program relies on top international lecturers who teach in a 24-hour learning environment.
If you bring a collaborative spirit with a passion to effect change, consider this opportunity as the…
Chief Operating Officer – AIMS Ghana
Responsible for spearheading the management of the non-academic and non-scientific operations of the Centre, the Chief Operating Officer will lead a multidisciplinary and multicultural team of 4-8 professionals ensuring the smooth running of AIMS-Senegal’s administrative and financial operations. While keeping all day-to-day administrative and financial operations in order, the incumbent will add a strategic vision to everyday activities and work closely with the Centre President and the VP-Operations and CFO at the AIMS’ global secretariat to ensure continuous improvements to gain administrative and financial efficiencies and effectiveness. The incumbent will ensure the continuity of resource management, programming, implementation, as well as reporting of the Centre’s activities, with the utmost respect for AIMS procedures. He or she is the gatekeeper of administrative and financial procedures at the AIMS-Senegal Centre.
Additionally and under the leadership of the Centre President, and sometimes under the leadership of President and CEO – AIMS Global Network, the incumbent will contribute to attracting and nurturing fruitful relationships with key funding sources (governments and institutions), and effectively manage and leverage funds grounded in an effective governance structure, regulatory requirements and appropriate financial and administrative policies and practices.
This is a 2-year contract opportunity based at the AIMS Center in Biriwa, Ghana.
Do you have what we need?
· Master’s Degree in Business or Public Administration, Finance, Economics, or Public relations with at least 10 years of experience in the management of higher education institution
· 7-10 years of experience in managing large international settings, ideally as part of a global network
· Experience and understanding of the requirements for using and working with international donor funding e.g. DFID, IDRC, USAID etc.
· A proven record of developing and professionalizing growing organizations
· Experience working in international environments
· A consummate diplomat with the drive to innovate and lead change with a collaborative spirit
· Superb relationship management and problem-solving skills to lead, manage and interact with a diverse team of professionals
· An influential communicator with strong verbal, writing and presentation skills
· Functionally bilingual (French/English), an asset
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Internet applications (Dropbox, SharePoint, Skype, Gmail, etc.)
· Travel within Africa, for a maximum period of 6 weeks per year
How to apply:
Are you ready to be a part of the transformation?
Submit your letter of motivation, including salary expectations together with a detailed CV in English to: email@example.com (i.e. quote “COO AIMS GHA” in the subject line). Applications will be accepted until February 9, 2018.
Should no feedback be received from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued. AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.
AIMS-NEI is an equal opportunity employer.