Organization: African Institute for Mathematical Sciences
Closing date: 09 Feb 2018
We’re transforming Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries!
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS, www.nexteinstein.org) is a pan-African network of centres of excellence for postgraduate training, research and outreach in the mathematical sciences. Its mission is to enable Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency. The first AIMS centre opened in Cape Town, South Africa in 2003; since 2011, AIMS has opened additional centres in Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, Tanzania and Rwanda. The goal of the AIMS Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS-NEI) is to build a pan-African network of 15 centres of excellence across the continent by 2023.
Each AIMS centre provides an intensive and broad education to over 50 African students each year and prepares them for leadership careers in academia, government and industry. The AIMS educational program relies on top international lecturers who teach in a 24-hour learning environment.
If you bring a collaborative spirit with a passion to effect change, consider this opportunity as the…
Academic Director – Ghana
In this role, you will spearhead the management of all academic aspects of the Centre – one of six international centres that conducts teaching, research and outreach in the mathematical sciences. Serving a roster of up to 50 students from across Africa and under the direction of the Centre President, you will manage and contribute to an innovative and international-class academic program at the Masters level in the Mathematical Sciences.
In close collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer, you will guide the launch of an established curriculum, giving leadership to a diverse team of tutors and world-class visiting lecturers. Additionally, it is anticipated that you will be an active contributor and catalyst to research and outreach initiatives—ultimately to facilitate and set the groundwork for the Centres continued growth.
This is a 2 year, full-time contract opportunity and will be based in Biriwa, Ghana.
Do you have what we need?
· A Doctorate in Mathematical Sciences (Mathematics, Physics or related)
· 7+ years’ experience managing academic professionals in an international setting, with particular expertise with African academia
· Superb relationship management skills to lead, manage and mentor a diverse team of academic professionals
· A proven track record of entrepreneurial and innovative approaches to build sustainable growth
· A genuine passion to heighten the development of mathematical sciences in Africa
· Fluency in English and French is essential
· Willing and able to travel within and outside of Africa
· Working knowledge of scientific computational and editing software such as Python and Linux. Acquaintance with the Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Internet applications (Dropbox, Skype, Gmail, etc.)
How to apply:
Are you ready to be a part of the transformation?
Submit your letter of motivation, including salary expectations together with a detailed CV in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org (i.e. quote “Academic Director GHA” in the subject line). Applications will be accepted until February 9, 2018.
Should no feedback be received from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued. AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.
AIMS-NEI is an equal opportunity employer.