Organization: University of Rhode Island
Closing date: 21 Dec 2017
The USAID/West Africa Analytical Support Services and Evaluations for Sustainable Systems in Agriculture, Environment and Trade (ASSESS) project is seeking candidates for Events Planning Specialist. The project is based in Accra Ghana and covers West Africa countries receiving funding form United States Agency for International Development, West Africa Regional Economic Growth Office (USAID/WA/REGO). The ASSESS project provides program evaluations and research, monitoring, knowledge and information management (including learning events), and other support services to USAID/WA/REGO. The project is implemented by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) in partnership with The University of Rhode Island (URI), Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) and other partner Universities in the U.S. and West Africa.
The Events Planning Specialist is a local hire recruitment (i.e., recruited in Ghana and based in Ghana). Any nationality is eligible to apply under these conditions if the candidate has, or can obtain, legal status to work in Ghana. The ASSESS project is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of affirmative action.
· Lead Events Planning for ASSESS. Work closely with USAID/REGO Agriculture, Environment and Trade and Investment teams in alignment with USAID’s Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA) Framework to design, plan and implement high impact learning events, meetings and workshops.
· Establish a collaborative and strategic approach to ensuring well designed, planned and executed events, including follow-up to monitor, sustain and continue to build on successful achievement of learning objectives and outcomes, including development of effective tools and guidelines for the approach and its execution.
· Report directly to the ASSESS Chief of Party and work closely with ASSESS technical, administrative and finance staff, university partners and technical activity leads in the execution of his/her responsibilities.
· Respond flexibly and timely to ad hoc requests from USAID for Events Planning support.
· Develop detailed scopes of work and budgets for requested events
· Develop and continuously update the roster of service providers and evaluation of their services for all locations within the West Africa Region served by ASSESS.
· Provide event reports and analysis of lessons learned. Develop events section of ASSESS reports and workplan.
· Ensure compliance with USAID, USDA and ASSESS University partner rules, regulations and procedures.
· Master’s degree or equivalent experience in management and administration, events planning, adult/continuing education and training, or related field.
· Minimum of five years of relevant, progressively responsible work experience in events planning for donor funded projects.
· Proficiency in spoken and written English required. French proficiency a plus.
· Demonstrated knowledge of professional events planning for international projects.
· Understanding of events planning issues and challenges within the context of development projects in West Africa. Familiarity with USAID projects strongly preferred.
· Strong knowledge of innovative methods and approaches to in-service training and adult learning.
· Familiarity with USAID policies, rules, regulations and business processes, especially with regard to logistics for events with international participants.
· Understanding of how to work effectively with a multinational team of in-country staff, university partners, USAID technical teams in Accra and USDA based in Washington, as well as USAID partner organizations and government agencies in West Africa.
· Strong written and oral communication skills. Excellent interpersonal skills. Highly computer/internet literate.
· Demonstrated ability to plan and manage multiple activities simultaneously on deadlines. Ability to effectively contract and supervise a wide range of individual and institutional service providers under pressure (i.e., translators, facilitators, media outlets, caterers, IT, etc.).
How to apply:
Application Requirements: Submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae by e-mail with “ASSESS Events Planner” in the subject line to: Kim Kaine (Kimberly.Kaine@crc.uri.edu, with copy to email@example.com) no later than December 21, 2017, 5pm Accra time.