Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families.
Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to provide high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care.
Jhpiego designs innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to ensure a level of care for women and their families. These practical, evidence-based interventions are breaking down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.
The Maternal and Child Survival Program (MCSP) in Ghana is a five-year strategy for providing technical leadership nationally and supporting the Ghana Ministry of Health (MoH), Ghana Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), and the Ghana Health Service (GHS) to provide high-quality health education and community-based health care services. The five-year strategic vision of MCSP Ghana is: Pre-service, in-service education and Community-based Health Planning and Services (CHPS) are delivered with quality and strengthened existing systems.
- MCSP seeks project field staff to perform the roles of Interviewers, focus group discussions and Transcriptionists on a 6 week contract and will assist with a variety of activities for the qualitative evaluation including:
- recruiting and screening providers at selected health facilities for In-depth Interviews
- conducting In-depth Interviews
- translating and transcribing In-depth Interviews
- This position is temporary and will be based in Accra but will require extensive travel within and across Ashanti, Brong Ahafo, Central, Eastern, Greater Accra, Northern and Western Regions.
Scope of Work
The Interviewer will work closely with both international and local researchers and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Work with the Local Principal Investigator (PI) to recruit selected providers into the study, ensuring adherence to selection protocols and criteria.
- Screen participants for eligibility and ensure informed consent process is thoroughly conducted for all participants.
- Conduct in-depth interviews and focus group discussions with clinic staff and beneficiaries, taking notes when necessary
- Handle environmental conditions, and respond to unexpected interruptions
- Follow-up on comments made by respondents that need clarification
- Ensure participants feel comfortable and safe, and that their confidentiality is protected
- Have a good understanding of the subject matter for discussion
- Assist in organizing the interviews, i.e. logistics planning, identify locations, advance contact with participants etc.
- Debrief with team after interviews
- Provide suggestions for improving guides and interviewing techniques
- Completion of scheduled activities each day in a timely manner
- Keep PI updated on interview progress and any issues that arise
- Listen to original recording material in English and in the local languages (mostly Twi) and type out texts word-for-word
- Translate Twi text into English, ensuring that translations from these languages retain the content and meaning of the original material
- Proofread to correct spelling mistakes and grammar in English
- Accurately relay style or tone so that meaning remains the same when translating or interpreting from local languages to English language
- Adhere to strict deadlines when dealing with translating written material
- Protect the confidentiality of material as required
Timeline: The 15-day consultancy will fall within 10 July – 4 August, 2017
Required Skills or Experience
- Masters, Master of Philosophy in Social Sciences or related field of discipline is required
- Previous experience conducting qualitative research interviews and focus group discussion is required
- Must be a careful listener that will guide the discussion
- Complete knowledge of both English and Twi languages
- Excellent verbal communication in both English, Twi and Dagbani
- Ability to work independently and follow study protocols without direct supervision
- Preferred previous experience working with Health providers
- Willingness to travel within the regions noted above for several days at a time
- Comfortable with interviewing individuals who are professionals
- Listening skills and ability to understand and grasp various expressions, idioms and specific vocabulary and their uses
- Experience in transcription or translation for at least 1 year is preferred
- Computer literacy with proficiency in MS Word and excellent typing skills is required for this position
The post Jhpiego Job Vacancy : Qualitative Interviewer/Translators – (4) Consultants appeared first on Jobs in Ghana | http://jobwebghana.com/.